Question: Do you have to be really advanced in your schooling to become a scientist?

  1. You do need to go to uni.

    To work as a scientist you will need to be qualified as a scientist, which typically means that you need a Bachelor of Science degree from university. This is usually a 3 year course.

    If you get keen you can do an extra year of research called and Honours year, and if you do well you will be a Bachelor of Science with Honours.

    If you get really keen on research or you want to apply for grants you can go on and do a Doctor of Philosophy degree, which takes another 3-4 years.

    It all depends upon want you want to do and how much you like uni. I spent 11 years at uni, but most of my science friends finished after 3 years and went and got jobs as scientists.